Re: Xircom cem56 hot swap

Heather wrote:

> > I have the same card and also get similar problems on occasion.  What is
> > happening in my case is that DHCP is getting stuck on something when I
> > am not connected to a network - if I kill a running dhcp process and
> > then re-insert the card it all starts to work again.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >                                       Andrew.
>
> I have had a bunch of problems with dhcp but it has been inconsistent
> enough (and at most of my clients, I have static IP) that I had ignored
> it.  But if there's some bug with the dhcpcd, what sort of bug report
> should we file?  Things are getting awful close to sealed up, and we don't
> want them frying every *really* mobile user with a bug like that...

I agree, but I'm not sure where the problem is happening.

I _think_ the problem may be related to repeated insert/remove cycles
before the dhcpcd has timed out.  I have other problems with the dhcpcd
timeout because I am usually inserting my network card so I can use the
modem in it and the 60 second timeout is greater than the connect time
(and because of some other scripts happening at the same time, such as
my 'whereami' utility) my route sometimes goes west when the network
initialisation finishes after the ppp session starts.

For this reason I actually edited /usr/sbin/dhcpcd by hand (that's the
script that chooses whether you want a 2.2 dhcpcd or a 2.0 one) and set
the timeout to 5 seconds.  I don't know any networks where 60 seconds
would be a reasonable timeout for dhcp address assignment - all
instances that I have seen seem to happen in milliseconds.

Cheers,
					Andrew.

PS. If you're interested, I have a bunch of scripts which I have
(Debian) packaged up as 'whereami' which allow my system to
auto-configure itself for the locations I plug in at.  This works well
for fixed IP now, as well as DHCP which it always worked for.

            Andrew McMillan, e-mail: Andrew@cat-it.co.nz
Catalyst IT Ltd, PO Box 10-225, Level 22, 105 The Terrace, Wellington
Me: +64 (21) 635 694, Fax: +64 (4) 499 5596, Office: +64 (4) 499 2267