Re: Can't talk to network

On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 06:40:03PM -0700, Rod Price wrote:
> Forgive me; I'm a newbie at this.  With luck, I've found the
> right list for this question.
>
> I've just installed Debian potato from floppies successfully,
> except...  I can't talk to the network to download any packages.
> Here's my configuration:
>
> Dell Latitude CPi D300XT
> 128 MB memory
> 10 GB hard drive
> 3Com fast Ethernet card 3CCFE575BT (on the list of working hardware)
>
> I can ping 127.0.0.1, but pings to anything outside the laptop
> itself are unsuccessful.  I've checked to see that
> /etc/pcmcia/network.opts
> has the right information in it; it does.  I'm stumped.  Where do
> I go from here?

Have you got routing information setup correctly? The gateway, netmask etc.
That should have gone into network.opts, but check it by typing netstat -r.

Are your name-servers assigned correctly?  Did you try pinging outside using
the IP address or the name address?  What is written in /etc/resolv.conf?

Drew Parsons