Shutting down PCMCIA services: modulesds: Device or resource busy

Hi all,

sometimes when I come out of suspend mode, I have trouble restarting my
pcmcia card.  Usually I have to just pull it out and push it back in again,
and it works fine.  Sometimes I have to `/etc/init.d/pcmcia restart` to get
it going again.

But occasionally I get this really irritating error when I try to restart
(or stop) pcmcia:

Shutting down PCMCIA services: modulesds: Device or resource busy
i82365: Device or resource busy
pcmcia_core: Device or resource busy

And then there's nothing I can do, short of rebooting.

One time when this happened I was able to identify a hanging cardctl process
using ps, which I could kill, and then pcmcia would be able to restart.  But
more often than not I can't see any obvious offending process.

Do others have this problem too?  Does it mean I haven't got
recover-from-suspend set up completely correctly?  What do I need to do to
avoid rebooting the computer when pcmcia hangs like this?

I'm on a Toshiba 490CDT, running linux 2.2.14 with pcmcia-cs v 3.1.8-4 on
potato.

Drew Parsons