Compaq LTE elite 4/75CX & 15bpp

Hi all. I am running the latest potato on a Compaq LTE Elite 4/75CX. I'm
attempting to get 15bpp to work in X - to no avail. The chipset is a
WD90C24 I believe, one of the supported ones. There is 1024k of video RAM.

When attempting to start in 15bpp mode, the X server (SVGA) quits,
claiming that 16bpp is not support for this chipset. Yes, thats saying
"16bpp is not supported". Why would it say 16bpp, when I'm tryuing to go
to 15bpp? This is whether or not I set it in the XF86Config or with
startx -- -bpp15

Oh, and I'm running 640x480, and WindowMaker.

I know the computer can do 15bpp because I've used it in 32k color mode in
Win95.

any insight would be great!

-Doug
dbaker@connix.com