Re: HP 4150 Sound Problem

On Jan 12, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 04:36:31PM +0100, Erik Wenzel wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > is there anyboby who successfully configured NM2200 sound chip ( OSS
> > has autodetect his )? I installed potato and the rest is working fine.
> > Except the sh*** sound card. On 'soundon' modules get loaded into the
> > kernel, but when try to cat an audiofile to /dev/audio4 - the first
> > softOSS audio device - my box reboots !!!
> > Any suggestions?
>
> The NM2200 is not a sound chip - Its a GFX Controller ...

Actually, it's both.  Your laptop probably has a better sound chip, so
that's used instead of the sound part of the NM2200.  My laptop,
however, only has the NM2200 (aka NeoMagic 256AV).

The main problem with the NM2200 is that it doesn't have a hardware
wave device, so you have to use software emulation.  Off the top of my
head, I can't remember the config I had to use, but you do need a
recent 2.2.x (or 2.3.x) kernel for it to work properly.  I think
2.2.13+.  But I've not had a problem with reboots or anything (CivCTP
works perfectly, for example).

Chris
|         Chris Lawrence        |          It's 2/3 of a beltway...         |
|    <quango@watervalley.net>   |      http://www.lordsutch.com/tn385/      |
|    Grad Student, Pol. Sci.    |    Are you tired of politics as usual?    |
|   University of Mississippi   |             http://www.lp.org/            |