RE: pcmcia annoyances

Hello ...

> > I just performed an apt upgrade on Potato and my pcmcia-cs and
> pcmcia-source
> > were upgraded.  Every time these packages are upgraded, it
> breaks my network.
> > I usually just reinstall my old packages and get things working
> that way, but
> > my question is:  what is the correct way of dealing with this problem?
>
> Two possibilities:
>
>  - only use debian kernels (but this one is fairly unreasonable
> in many cases)
>
>  - rebuild all pcmcia packages after you rebuild your kernel package.

The second one is the one I do, but I'd have to agree with Andrew..
sometimes you do an 'apt-get update; apt-get upgrade' (without checking what
its going to upgrade), and next thing you know, it upgrades your pcmcia
modules, and then poof .. no network.. This really sucks on my end, because
I have a central repository at our office where I store all the custom
kernels and such .. and if users upgrade their systems manually, I always
have to make sure I keep a copy of the pcmcia deb on the local system (which
isn't ALL bad ..)

One quick way to prevent apt from upgrading your pcmcia stuff (but has to be
redone everytime you upgrade the pcmcia stuff yourself), is to set the
pcmcia stuff on 'hold' ..

as root:

echo "pcmcia-source hold" | dpkg --set-selections
echo "pcmcia-modules-<version> hold" | dpkg --set-selections

(where version is the version you have installed .. consult 'dselect' to see
the entire package name.. you can also do this in dselect using '=' I
believe..)

then, apt won't do an upgrade even if there is an upgrade available ..
however, when you manually dpkg -i your custom deb, it will change it from
'hold' to 'install' .. so you have to reset the selections to hold ..
Perhaps there a better way of doing this?

(IMO .. I can see a status of, perhaps, 'manual' which would tell
apt/dselect not to upgrade unless specifically told to .. and the status
won't change when dpkg is run by hand .. or is there already a method of
doing this?)

-Terry