Re: > 64Meg RAM question

On Sat, 08 Jan 2000, William Heindl wrote:
>I am running slink on an IBM 560Z with 128Meg of RAM.  Only 64Meg are
>being seen (as evidenced from doing "dmesg").  Now, I have seen in
>various HOWTOs that this is expected, and the solution is to build the
>kernel with "newmem" set.  However, I'm puzzled.  Two guys at my
>office built their systems using the same set of floppies and they see all
>128Meg in their machines without doing anything special.  The
>difference seems to be that they are not using laptops.  Is this

The difference is that they are not using Thinkpads.  Thinkpads are different
in some ways to other types of computers.

>something peculiar to the laptop version of the Pentium II?  Is there
>step by step documentation somewhere to help me through the kernel
>build required for this fix?

The append="mem=XXX" is the solution as other people have said.  If you tell
it 128M then your machine is unlikely to boot as the Thinkpad hardware likes
to use the last few hundred K of RAM for shadow or something.  Tell it 127M
or watch the boot messages from the BIOS which will tell you how many K of
memory to use.

Russell Coker

PS  I'm currently on my second Thinkpad and plan to buy a new one in early
2001.  In spite of the things that IBM has got wrong their still the best
laptops on the market.

--
The ultimate result is that some innovations that would truly benefit
consumers never occur for the sole reason that they do not coincide with