Re: NEC Versa V

On Mon, Oct 25, 1999 at 01:31:27AM +1000, Dave Blears wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 23, 1999 at 03:56:05PM -0600, David Karlin wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I just inherited an NEC Versa V/75.  It is a 486 75mhz, with 4MB of ram,
> > and I'd like to upgrade the memory.  There is a proprietary memory slot
> > which, according to the docs, can take up to 16MB.
> >
> > I've also heard that there is such a beast as a PCMCIA memory card, but
> > know nothing about them.  This machine can hold two type II or one type
> > III card.
>
> if it is the same as my old v50 the 16mb slot is a pcmcia memory card :P
>
> it fits in above the hard drive, in the bay on the right hand side of the
> unit.

It does fit in on the r.h.s. in the above the HDD, but the slot is
only about 2/3 as long as a PCMCIA card.  The pins look like PCMCIA,
though.  Exactly what type of RAM are you using?

> and it runs debian very nicely... even x runs well

Running well here in text mode.  Installing X as I type this.
BTW, which type of display do you have, and what settings did
you use for X?  (I'm loading xserver-svga at the moment.)

Thanks!
--
David Karlin
mailto:dkarlin@coloradomtn.edu