Re: Bondwell laptop and unknown type partition

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Marcin Owsiany wrote:

> during Debian installation i have found an unknown type (84) partition which
> is 28 MB large. I guess it is for the laptop "suspend to disk" feature (i
> have found such thing in BIOS Setup). I would like to delete it, but does
> anybody know if it is really safe if I won't be using any powersaving
> features?

It depends on your laptop.  In most cases it should be ok, but there may
be instances where you still need it.  I had a TI Extensa 560 laptop
dual-booting Windows and Linux.  I found that with that particular laptop,
if I removed the Save-to-disk partition, the laptop was extremely slow
during the BIOS POST, and Windows also seemed a little slower than usual.
I don't recall if it affected Linux at all.  I _HAD_ disabled the
save-to-disk feature in the BIOS...  Once I put the partition back,
everything was back to normal.

Give it a try.  Worst case, you'll need to find some room and put the
partition back on the drive.

Richard Glidden
rglidden@batigh.dhs.org