pcmcia enet and modem sharing in potato on laptop

Here is a strange situation.  I have potato installed fresh with a 2.2.10
kernel custom installed and the new pcmcia-cs services configured for the
system by me.  On a system exactly the same, Fujitsu Lifebook, Debian
Potato, but kernel 2.2.12 and same pcmcia level, the 3com combo 556 card can
have the modem and enet pcmcia used at the same time.  On mine, the modem
does not load with the ethernet card plugged in.  Remvove the dongle, run
setserial /dev/ttyS1 autoconfig auto_irq it works using wvdial. On my
colleagues laptop it works with both connected without having to rerun
setserial.  This seems rather strange.  The /etc/pcmcia/config.opts is
exactly the same.  Most kernel compilation options are the same.

--
Michael Perry
mperry@tsoft.com