Re: Debian on an older laptop

"Matthew Guenther" <mguenthe@netcom.ca> writes:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> Hi,
>
> I have an friend who wants to ditch windows and put linux on his laptop.  I
> already have Debian installed on my Dell and it works fine, however I'm not
> sure if it's possible to install on his computer (Zenith Z-Note L425).  The
> biggest problem is that he is without a CD drive, and only has a very slow
> modem (9600 bps).  Is it possible to install most of a working system off of
> floppies?  Would it be possible to easily transfer files between my computer
> and his using a serial cable?  Would Debian even be the best choice for this
> machine?

Try the bootdisks and also try a different kernel with framebufer
support enabled (eigther vga or vesa). If that works theres no reason
not to use linux.

If you have a paralel cable you can use plip to nfs mount your
notebook or another computer. Plip is quite fast with 40 KB/s.
Otherwise you can use a serial cable with slip or ppp with up to
115200 BAUD.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin