Re: another newbie/debian on older laptop

Suggestions to both sunshine_wonder and Matthew Guenther:

I have run Debian on a Compaq Aero (ancient machine) with 16 meg Ram and
a 500 meg hard drive and a 486sx 16MHz processor for years now.

For installation my favourite option is plip + floppies. Much faster than the
serial
port and usually easier to setup initially than pcmcia. I have heard the
ocasional
report of someone not being able to get plip working but it has always worked
for me.

For allowing the install of lots of software I use e2compr. It has been
reliable enough for me and let me put everything I needed on the mahcine.

e2compr: http://www.netspace.net.au/~reiter/e2compr

Don't compress executables or library binaries unless they really don't get
used very often. I was able to compress most of the xemacs/emacs directories
and /usr/src (compiles take somewhat longer). I have used double and zlib (?)
before with some sucess but e2compr has worked much better for me.

For Xwindow applications I would typically run the X server and the app as
the sole client quite sucessfully. I even ran KDE for a while but wouldn't
recomend it for the impatient among us!

Depending on what you are intending to do you may find the "(x)emacs as
an environment" approach productive. I typically run xemacs on a console
and run a shell, VM mail, edit various files, browse directories and manage
files all from within xemacs. It takes a while to get used to but on a low
resource
machine can be very efficient. Oh, and xemacs will also browse the web,
albeit slowly and you never have to use the mouse. Note however that
(x)emacs makes good use of the mouse with gpm on the console.

I haven't run Win 3.1 in years so I can't comment on which would be faster -
especially without knowing what tools you intend to use.

Matt
--

sunshine_wonder <sunshine_wonder@yahoo.com> on 10/18/99 04:52:00 PM