Unidentified subject!

First I will start by saying that I am a new linux user.  I have installed
the debian operating system on my IBM 365XD.  However, when I try to boot
the system it just hangs after "LILO loading linux".  Additionally my
debian boot floppy doesn't work either (maybe because of the external
floppy?).  Anyway, I had to make a windows 98 boot floppy which has
loadlin.exe and linux on it.  the autoexec.bat file executes loadlin.exe
ie. " a:\loadlin.exe a:\linux root=/dev/hda1" .  This is th only way I
could boot my system.  How can I fix things so that I can boot directly
from hard disk (/dev/hda1)?
If anyone has any ideas that I could use to fix this problem, your help
would be appreciated

David Goodyear