Re: Sony Viao F340 was(Re: Tochiba Satellite 2590CDT and Linux)

Brian Servis <servis@purdue.edu> writes:

> Me again,
>
> I dropped the Toshiba and went with a Sony Vaio F340.
>
> PII-366
> 96M ram
> 6.4G hdd
> 13" 1024x768 w/ Neomagic 256AV
> Neomagic2200 sound chip(supported by patch to 2.2.x kernels)
> internal winmodem(I don't really need it anyway)
>
> I also purchased a Xircom RealPort Ethernet RBE-100BTX pcmcia network
> card that according to the pcmcia-cs doc's is supported.
>
> My plan is to install base via floppy and then network to my existing
> desktop Debian machine and install the rest via network(modem on
> desktop).  This will mostly be a traveling machine so I don't expect to
> install tons of apps on it.

Configure pcmcia before configuring the network, then insert the
pcmcia card and you should hear two high beeps (a high and a low shows
failure). After that you can nfs mount your desktop and install base
via nfs.

> This is also my first laptop install and I have never delt with the
> pcmcia support so I am sure to learn alot this weekend.  So what ever
> links and other sources that are not the obvious ones would be much
> appreciated.
>
> Brian

Compile your own kernel with framebufer support (probably generic
vesafb) to get a useable console. Try the xserver-fbdev package for
the most easy X or an accelerated neomagic driver from suse. I think
the debian x servers don´t support that chip, but  could be
wrong. When you try the X, keep your fingers on CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to
quit X fast when something seems wrong (i.e. the sreen gets white or
flickers).

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin