Tochiba Satellite 2590CDT and Linux

First time poster to debian-laptop, be kind, =).

I am in a quick rush to get a laptop!!! Yeah!! Like TODAY or TOMMOROW.
I will be of course installing Debian and will need use it to dual boot
to Win9x, yuck.

The Satallite series look really good for the money but what about
compatibility?  It uses the Trident Cyber9525 video chip which is
supported by Xfree86.  The sound is the ESS1978S chip which I didn't see
mentioned in the kernel docs, but it seems like the ESS chips are all
pretty similar.

The video is only 800x600 on board but can go to 1280x1024x256 external.

Any advice is appreciated or suggestion to go with someting else.

Thanks,

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
servis@purdue.edu                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.