Re: Help with X11 - Debian 2.0: config for Armada 1750 !!

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr> writes:

> On Wednesday 13 October 1999, at 10 h 3, the keyboard of
> Gilbert.Gabou@saft.alcatel.fr wrote:
>
> >      I've got a COMPAQ Armada 1750 with Linux Debian 2.0 installed.
>
> Did you at least checked <http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/>
> . There are two 1750 there...
>
> >      Video card: ATI LT Pro AGP 2X - 4 Mo RAM
>                        ^^
>                        I believe it needs a fairly recent X11 server, so you may have to upgrade to at least the last stable Debian, 2.1.

I have that gfx chip on my laptop and the current XSVGA does NOT work
on it. Gives a nice plasma effect that gets brigther and brigther.

You need to compile the kernel to use the VESA Framebuffer support and
use the X86_FBDev framebuffer server. That can run an X in the same
resolution and colordepth you console runs in, e.g. 1024x768-24. I
can´t get the Vesafb to boot a 32 bit mode, since vesa doesn´t seem to
have a mode for that, but 8,16,24 work fine.

According to the Linux Magazin the next X releases should support that
chip.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin