Re: pcmcia problems with potato and 2.2.12 kernel

On Friday, October 8, michael@yoon.org wrote:

> > I've got a Dell Inspiron 7000 and a Netgear PCMCIA Ethernet card. I
> > just upgraded to potato (using apt-get) and then installed the
> > 2.2.12 kernel, specifically, the following packages:
> >
> >     kernel-image-2.2.12_2.2.12-3 pcmcia-modules-2.2.12_3.1.1-1k3
> >     pcmcia-cs_3.1.1-1
> >
> > Now, PCMCIA Card Services won't start.

    [ ... ]

> > I've searched the Debian mailing list archives in search of
> > enlightenment, without success. I did find mention of unresolved
> > symbol errors in postings on the Linux PCMCIA discussion forum,
> > but in all those cases, the problem was that the kernel was not
> > compiled with the appropriate parameters. The description of
> > pcmcia-modules-2.2.12_3.1.1-k3 says that it has "been compiled to
> > be compatible with the kernel in the kernel-image-2.2.12 package
> > version 2.2.12-3", which is what I have installed.

These modules have indeed been compiled using the sources from the
kernel-source-2.2.12 package version 2.2.12-3.

katz@advanced.org (Terry Katz) added:

> I had similar problems (Inspiron 7000, but 3com card.. but machine
> doesn't matter;) .. it seems maybe the modules were compiled wrong
> .. (I usually use my own version of the kernel, and the modules uses
> upgrade seamlessly) .. I just grabbed the pcmcia-source and compiled
> them manually (along with a 2.2.12 kernel source) and all works..

Obviously, the kernel in the kernel-image-2.2.12 package was not built
by Herbert Xu using the kernel as configured in the Debian sources for
this package.  That is, if you take the following three files:

	kernel-source-2.2.12_2.2.12-3.diff.gz
	kernel-source-2.2.12_2.2.12-3.dsc
	kernel-source-2.2.12_2.2.12.orig.tar.gz

unpack them using 'dpkg-source -x', and then run 'make-kpkg configure'
in the source directory, the resulting configured kernel source will
not correctly build the same kernel as the one contained in the
kernel-image-2.2.12 package.

Unfortunately, I am powerless to fix this problem.  All I do is take the
kernel sources, as I receive them from the Debian ftp site, and build
a set of PCMCIA modules using those sources.  I suggest that further
questions/comments be addressed to the Debian kernel maintainer: Herbert
Xu <herbert@debian.org>.

Brian