Re: first boot program

> Is there not a way around this?  The reason I'm
> asking, is that I wanted to setup my home server with
> some raid1 drives.  I did a clean install in then had
> dselect install just enough for me to compile a kernel
> with raid support and then setup the raid drives.  Now
> I want to install the rest of the system.
>
> This would be a major pain if there is not.  Or did I
> do something stupid (i.e. is there a better way to
> install to raid)?

I'm *brand* new to this, but can't you have your base system installed with
*module* support for raid1? I remember seeing these modules available to
select in the "Configure Device Driver Modules" step.

You could then conceivably set up your raid1 device 1) on an alternate tty
before getting to dselect, or 2) by booting single-user after installing the
base system, setting up your raid1 device, then rebooting multi-user (at
which point the dselect front-end should kick right in).

Then start work on your new kernel, etc.

If this doesn't work, I'd be interested to know why.