Re: Next release of manpages-l10n

Hello,

Am Fr., 29. Mai 2020 um 21:12 Uhr schrieb Helge Kreutzmann
<debian@helgefjell.de>:

> Hello Tobias,
> On Sat, Apr 04, 2020 at 09:40:41PM +0200, Dr. Tobias Quathamer wrote:
> > Am 10.02.20 um 10:10 schrieb Mario Blättermann:
> > > the manpages-l10n project is now almost ready for a release. The new
> > > version 4.0 is scheduled for march 1, 2020. All commits prior to this
> > > date will be included in the tarball.
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > the new package manpages-l10n has just been accepted into Debian
> > unstable. Thanks for all your work!
>
> Thank you very much for your work and the scripts as well.
>
> I discussed this with Mario and we think it would be a good time to
> target the next version, now with some more languages (I guess Mario
> has a better overview of the stats) maybe in about a week?

Yes, let's keep the releases about every three months. This is a fair
compromise between being strictly up-to-date and a comfortable
workflow for both translators and downstream packagers.

The recently imported Italian translations should be disabled for the
time being. I've written to Marco Curreli that after completion of the
import, maybe in a few weeks, the next release then will include the
Italian translations. Until then we have to solve a problem: Although
not visible at the project page, the version 5.06 of manpages-it has
been released. It is available from Bitbucket [1], and at least Mageia
has already updated the package to this version. This means, to get a
proper upgrade path, we need to update manpages-l10n to a version
number greater than 5.06, or force downstream packagers to use »Epoch«
mechanisms.

> I just checked with the French team, this release would close also the,
> remaining open Debian bugs for manpages-fr.
>
> And afterwards a Debian backport would be nice.
>
> Of course, the other supported (and unsupported) distribution might
> also use the chance to do the update, e.g. for Fedora for the very
> first time.

The package manpages-l10n-4.0.0 is already in Fedora Rawhide, based on
a Git checkout. But it is far from being complete. That time, our
package list was not up-to-date, and there were some problems with
involving the Fedora man pages in the update mechanisms. Should be
solved now.

[1]  https://bitbucket.org/marco.it/man-pages-it/downloads/

Best Regards,
Mario