[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Bug#674045: aptitude: German translation says "#Broken" but shows no number



tags 674045 + pending
thanks

On 23 May 2012 12:59, Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> Quoting Andreas Kloeckner (inform@tiker.net):
>> The German translation of aptitude, when encountering broken packages,
>> shows (the German equivalent of) "#Broken" in the header, but does not
>> show a number behind this label.
>
>
> I confirm this. The German translation is indeed right:
>
> #: src/pkg_columnizer.cc:394
> #, c-format
> msgid "#Broken: %ld"
> msgstr "#Beschädigt: %ld"
>
>
> I suspect this is because the string is longer than the original
> English string and is overwritten by the next string.
> The problem doesn't happen in Franch because the translation there
> (#Cassé: %ld) is not longer than the English string.
>
> So, unless come code is added to consider the real size of strings
> rather than hardcoding the string placement based on the length of
> English strings, the only solution here is to shorten the German
> translation (I suspect by using an abbreviation such as "#Besch.:
> %ld")
>

Calculating this automatically sounds like a durable solution.

Currently we allow each translator to set the default widths of those
columns.  German and some other languages did not have column widths
matching the translated strings for these two: download size and
broken count.

This mechanism is a hack, hard to read, and hard for translators to
use.  I plan to replace it with something more sensible in the near
future.

For the time being I have just updated most translations so that the
default widths of those two columns fits nicely.  No action is
required of the German team to fix this.

There are some other languages where this is an issue because both of
those columns are very wide, and I will follow up with the relevant
translation teams shortly.

Regards


Reply to: