Re: DDTP issue

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 03:31:23PM +0200, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
> 	we, as apache maintainers, have a small "objection" regarding the
> way in which the french guy translated our description. He did change the
> format of the description in something that is not the way it is supposed
> to be. We would really much like to see it changed properly.

ok, the ddtp db has this english/french apache description:
| # Package(s): apache
| # Package priority: task
| # Package prioritize: 50
|  The most popular server in the world, Apache features a modular
|  design and supports dynamic selection of extension modules at runtime.
|  Some of its strong points are its range of possible customization,
|  dynamic adjustment of the number of server processes, and a whole
|  range of available modules including many authentication mechanisms,
|  server-parsed HTML, server-side includes, access control, CERN httpd
|  metafiles emulation, proxy caching, etc.  Apache also supports multiple
|  virtual homing.
|  .
|  Separate Debian packages are available for PHP, mod_perl, Java
|  Servlet support, Apache-SSL, and other common extensions.  More
|  information is available at http://www.apache.org/.
| Description-fr: Serveur HTTP polyvalent haute performance
|  Serveur le plus populaire du monde, Apache est caractérisé par sa conception
|  modulaire et autorise la sélection dynamique des modules d'extension lors de
|  l'exécution.
|  Quelques uns de ses points forts sont l'étendue des personnalisations
|  possibles, l'ajustement dynamique du nombre de processus du serveur, un
|  éventail complet de modules disponibles, incluant:
|    - plusieurs mécanismes d'authentification;
|    - des analyseurs de serveurs de HTML;
|    - des inclusions côté serveur;
|    - un contrôle d'accès;
|    - une émulation de métafichiers httpd CERN;
|    - un cache proxy, etc.
|  Apache supporte aussi les sites internes virtuels multiples.
|  .
|  Des paquets Debian séparés sont disponibles pour le PHP, mod_perl, le
|  support Servlet Java, Apache-SSL et d'autres extensions habituelles. Plus
|  d'informations sont disponibles sur http://www.apache.org/.

first my personal opinion: I like the french format

If you insist on your format, you should talk with the french translator
or better with the french translation group
(debian-l10n-french@lists.d.o) and find a solution.

> But more generally talking, since i believe that soon the ddtp system will
> be accepted and distributed to a more global level, is there any way in
> which maintainers can interact with the system to avoid this kind of
> issues (except from translating ourself)? Can we somehow "approve" the
> translation not in term of contents (not always atleast) but in terms of
> layout?

we can add something like this. Now we have only the veto system in the
ddts.

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
"Lasst uns einen Editor-War beginnen. Besser als OS-War, da ist das