Re: Please update debconf PO translation for the package pam 0.99.7.1-5

Hi Esko,

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 11:08:15AM +0300, Esko Arajärvi wrote:

> On Tuesday 25 September 2007 08:32, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Thank you for your help to translate the recently-added pam debconf
> > templates to your language.

> > But I have to apologize to you, because the templates have changed again in
> > response to bug reports about the upgrade behavior, so your translations
> > are again incomplete with some messages missing or marked "fuzzy".

> I thought I downloaded the pot file from Debian www-site, but it seems I used
> the one from the mailing list. Anyway, here's an updated version.

The Debian website didn't have anything more recent either.  This version of
the .pot file is not yet uploaded to unstable.

> > The changes have been discussed with both debian-i18n and debian-devel, so
> > these strings should not need to be changed again.

> I just have to ask about one string. Sorry if this induces more chahnges. :-]

> msgid "The kdm, wdm, and xdm display managers require a restart for the new
> version of libpam, but there are X login sessions active on your system that
> would be terminated by this restart.  You will therefore need to restart
> these services by hand before further X logins will be possible."

> What I think weird here is the use of word "therefore". The explanation does
> not give any reason why I couldn't open new X sessions before restart (using
> the old libpam library which supposedly is still loaded in the memory). But
> the use of word "therefore" sounds to me like there should be an explanation
> in the preceding sentence. I'm not a native English speaker so this might be
> just my misunderstanding. Or maybe I don't know enough about the mechanisms
> of the X servers and display managers.

The explanation is "the display manager needs a restart for the new version
of libpam, and the display manager is not being restarted automatically."
You're right that it doesn't give a reason why the restart is needed; this
is a technical detail which is not relevant to what is being asked of the
user, and including this information would just confuse most users.

Anyway, more explanation is found in the first "restart-services" prompt:

 Most services that use PAM need to be restarted to use modules built for
 this new version of libpam.

That's as much explanation as I think users should be subjected to, and I
don't think we need to repeat it in the second debconf message.

Cheers,