Re: files with extension '.crt' is recognized as available certs.

u34@net9.ga wrote:
> Quoting
> https://salsa.debian.org/debian/ca-certificates/-/blob/master/debian/ca-certificates.postinst#L127

(This being text that gets inserted by the postinst at the top of a
new /etc/ca-certificates.conf file.)

>     files with extension '.crt' is recognized as available certs.
>
> Is recognized, or are recognized?

It should be "are recognized" (en_US).  But looking at the full text
there, it *starts* with a sentence that's wobbly English and poorly
phrased as an explanation:

# This file lists certificates that you wish to use or to ignore to be
# installed in /etc/ssl/certs.

"To use or ignore to be installed" is ungrammatical, and it isn't
quite true, anyway - it's comments that are ignored; certificates
listed in the file are either "activated" or "deactivated".

# update-ca-certificates(8) will update /etc/ssl/certs by reading this file.
#
# This is autogenerated by dpkg-reconfigure ca-certificates.
# Certificates should be installed under /usr/share/ca-certificates
# and files with extension '.crt' is recognized as available certs.
#
# line begins with # is comment.
# line begins with ! is certificate filename to be deselected.

Those last two lines are especially ungrammatical.  If we're going to
edit this at all, we might as well do it properly - I would suggest:

# This file is generated by "dpkg-reconfigure ca-certificates" and
# used by update-ca-certificates(8), which will modify /etc/ssl/certs,
# activating or deactivating certificates as specified in this file.
#
# Files installed under /usr/share/ca-certificates with the extension
# ".crt" will be recognized as available certificates.
#
# The certificates listed in this file will be activated, unless the
# line has a leading "!", in which case they will be deactivated.
# Lines beginning with "#" are comments.