Re: /usr/share/man/man3/fflush.3: syntactically and logically correctness vs readability (of just 1 sentence)

  This issue is set to http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=614021 .

----- Original Message ----
From: Justin B Rye <jbr@edlug.org.uk>
To: debian-l10n-english@lists.debian.org
Cc: Regid Ichira <regid23@yahoo.com>
Sent: Sat, February 19, 2011 2:08:01 AM
Subject: Re: /usr/share/man/man3/fflush.3: syntactically and logically

Regid Ichira wrote:
> Subject: /usr/share/man/man3/fflush.3: syntactically and logically
>  correctness vs readability (of just 1 sentence)

(That's fflush(3) in manpages-dev, dlocate tells me)

>   Is
>
>       For input streams,  fflush()  discards any buffered data that has been
>fetched from
>       the underlying file, but has not been by the application.
>
> syntactically and logically correct?

It certainly looks as if there's a missing word there.

>   Is
>
>       For input streams,  fflush()  discards any buffered data that has been
>fetched from
>       the underlying file, but has not been consumed by the application.
>
> much more clear?

That's a plausible syntactic fix, and a plausible thing for the
application to be (metaphorically) doing to the data, so it looks good
to me.
--
JBR    with qualifications in linguistics, experience as a Debian