Re: [RFR] templates://apt-cacher-ng/{apt-cacher-ng.templates}

Eduard Bloch wrote:
> [...] Let me elabote: the original idea for this questions
> was a selection box with four options.
>
>  - Setup rerouting and always manage
>  - Setup rerouting once
>  - Don't configure automaticaly (it's modified by the user)
>  - Don't reroute at all (disables/resets previously created config)
>
> The last options are not just the logical siblings or opposites, we are
> talking about two variables in the equation (configured by user or by
> setup?  auto-modified once or always?). And it's intended for people
> that want a previously created setup go away since former releases
> created that config silently.

I for one don't understand the use case for option four.  If I want
apt-cacher-ng to delete its config file and do no proxying,
shouldn't I just purge it?

>> + Apt-Cacher NG is yet another implementation of an HTTP proxy for
>> + software packages. It is primarily designed for .deb packages but
>> + may also be used with other package types.
[...]
> Rationale: First, ".deb" is not the official name of the format. Second,
> other distros are using the Debian tools, why should we try to hide this
> fact? Third, it's not just about .deb but various other files which
> belong or accompany Debian package files (source package file types,
> pdiffs, some jigdo support files and some meta-files from Ubuntu, etc.)
> and even RPM related can be used (reported by user, not verified yet).

Your third point makes the first two irrelevant:

  Apt-Cacher NG is yet another implementation of an HTTP proxy for
  Debian-style software repositories.

> What about following:
>
> Apt-Cacher NG has been designed from scratch as replacement of
> apt-cacher but with focus on maximizing throughput with low requirements
> on system resources.

  Apt-Cacher NG has been designed from scratch as a replacement for
  apt-cacher, but with a focus on maximizing throughput with low system
  resource requirements.