Re: Shadow's manpages translation

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 Nicolas François wrote:

> Dear Debian Czech translators,
>
> It seems that the passwd.5 Czech man page is not the translation of
> the current English man page.  Can you have a look at it, and see if
> it need an update?

There was a project translating some basic linux man pages into Czech. Unfortunately, this project is dead by now. Manpage you are referring to comes from the output of this project.

> In this case, can you provide an update as a bug to the shadow
> package, or indicate if the man page is so outdated that it should be
> dropped if it will mislead users (having a look at it, I don't think
> so, but ... I don't speak Czech;)

I have not checked this particular manpage but IMHO until the translation project is revived (*) outdated manpages should be removed as they are very likely to confuse users.

But I'm definitely not in charge of such a decision. I post it here for a discussion (let's see, who is already subscribed :)

> Thanks in advance, and long life to the new debian-l10n-czech list,

:)

-- Jan Houstek

(*) There is a "re-establish czman project" item on my TODO for a while but be sure it's not easy to find some folks for such a long-term job. I don't stop hoping ;)