Re: Remastering KNOPPIX adding KNOPPIX[n] overlay's to iso file

Hi,

Ricardo Pereira Rodrigues wrote:
> Device                Boot Start      End  Sectors  Size Id Type
> knx/custom.iso1       *        0 10692607 10692608  5.1G 17 Hidden HPFS/NTFS
>
> Analyzing the outputs, probably my custom.iso is not that good. Later
> I'll follow carefully Thomas' instructions to get it well organized.

This is the expectable result of isohybrid for BIOS and EFI "Legacy"
aka "CSM". (The type 0x17 = "NTFS" does not mean that there is such a
filesystem in the partition. It's just a value that is expected to cause
few trouble with stupid firmwares.)

EFI in its native mode would look for an MBR partition of type 0xef
or for a GPT partition with Type GUID C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B.
Knoppix offers the MBR variant, which would go well with your already
isohybridizised ISO.

Is the EFI of the successfully booting machine perhaps set to "Legacy"
or "CSM" ? That would explain why the BIOS-ready ISO boots.

(I have read rumors of EFI implementations which automatically switch
 to Legacy mode if no EFI System Partition is found. Typically the affected
 users are too exhausted after success to go on with investigating.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas