Re: Discussion? (Re: Knoppix 7.4.x CD)

I agree that a bare-bones Knoppix/Adriane CD image, as a basis for customizing and eventually remastering (possibly also with some forensic tools..), seems like a good idea.  It just has to be made completely clear to all users that this is _not_ a lightweight entry-level distro.  And omitting office, just a browser (plus a few basic servers and communication tools), I think most will get it - otherwise we can only prepare for all the "package missing on the Knoppix CD" inquiries and complaints. That would cater for most adaptation needs - except for the creation of pure 64 bits versions - to that end, an adaptable "knxbootstrap"  Debian package would be nice.

For my own needs, however, I would like a ca 2GB compressed image, so most of the really basic software is covered. That will save most people some time customizing, and remove most of the need for package purging.

Trond

I'd third the suggestion for a CD image containing little more than
the Debian base system, LXDE, a web browser, and the Knopix
customizations, but as a Blind user I think the CD version should at
least also include the Adriane meta-package along with its
dependencies, which does necessitate the inclusion of several
non-essential components. Though, with what KK said about there being
extra effort to producing a CD version, I suspect his methodology
might be a top-down rather than a bottom-up one.

--
Sincerely,

Jeffery Wright
President Emeritus, Nu Nu Chapter, Phi Theta Kappa.
Former Secretary, Student Government Association, College of the Albemarle.