Re: virtualbox is not working on K741 and before

Hello Charles,

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 01:01:16AM -0400, Charles Evans wrote:
> I know that the virtualbox on debian unstable and K741
> is older than the version on the website that
> says it will work with the new X.org now on K741,
> but it won't even get to the boot screen -
> VM is created, but on start, it says something about version mismatch.

I saw that error message, which is totally wrong and misleading. It
seems to be a general "universal error" message that also appears in
case of permission problems or simply if hardware virtualization is
turned off in the BIOS.

The more verbose logs reside in the "VM VirtualBox VMs" directory.

I changed the /dev/vbox* device permissions again in Knoppix 7.4.2, when
VirtualBox is started with "startvirtualbox". Maybe this helps.

> I have tried K741 on Intel, 32bit and 64bit kernels,
> K740 and K730 on AMD and Intel, none work.
> I even tried to start a known good vbox VM on K730, no go.
>
> I really need to get my VM's off windows 8;
> any help would be much appreciated.

I wonder why virtualbox has so many problems compared to kvm or qemu.
:-(

Maybe converting your vbox images to kvm or qemu would be a solution?
(qemu-img convert)