Re: knoppix screen-1280x800 does not work

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 06:03:24PM -0800, JD wrote:
> Hi all.
> I am still unable to get 1280x800 screen when
> I boot with the args
> knoppix screen=1280x800
>
> and this, even after I have installed 6.4.4 to hard drive, and
> booted from hard drive.
>
> What else can I do to get the full screen??

knoppix screen=1280x800 just sets the "PreferresSize" in xorgs
coniguration. This may be completely ignored if the monitor claims not
to support this resolution. The resolutions shown with

xrandr -q

are relevant.

You can use the lxrandr tool from the LXDE taskbar to set the
resolution, or ths xrandr commandline tool.

In some cases, the monidor or display lies about the supported
resolutions and frequencies. In this case, you can cheat by enforcing a
different "maximum frequency" for horizontal and vertical refresh:

knoppix hsync=95

allows a higher horizontal frequency, this has been reported to work on
many TFT/graphics card combinations that otherwise are stuck at 1024x768
because xorg does not get a response when asking the monitor for the
optimal settings (can be caused by a KVM switch).

The reason why it may have worked in 6.4.3 could be your monitor or
graphics card being unsupported yet by the acellerated drivers,
therefore a fixed resolution was used in vesa mode only. If you have an
NVidia or ATI(Radeon) card, this may have been the case. With the newer
xorg server, the settings are probed with higher pickyness in order to
find the best (=fastest) setting - which sometimes produces better, and
rather seldom produces worse results.

Regards
-Klaus