Re: [debian-knoppix] 3Com 3c556B not working in Knoppix 3.4

Thanks Klaus,

knoppix acpi=off

did the trick.

Regards

Dallas

Klaus Knopper <knopper@linuxtag.org>
Sent by: debian-knoppix-admin@linuxtag.org

14/05/2004 08:48 PM

dallas@calldesign.com.au
cc
debian-knoppix@linuxtag.org
Subject

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 08:37:55PM +1000, dallas@calldesign.com.au wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I posted this information on the forum without any response.
> The network card in my IBM Thinkpad A21m is a 3Com 556B mini PCI combo
> card (ethernet & modem). I have no interest in the modem side... (dumb
> winmodem) but the ethernet adapter worked OK in Knoppix 3.2 & 3.3. I
> checked the 3c59x.o driver's file size and it is the same in 3.3 and 3.4
> so I'm guessing that it hasn't changed. Something has however as it is
> detected differently. Here is the output of lspci -v from the laptop under
> 3.3 and 3.4.
> Does anyone have any idea what changed to cause this to fail?
>
> Knoppix 3.3 initialises the card correctly (3Com Corporation 3c556B
> Hurricane CardBus) and I get an IP address from the dhcp server. However
> the card is not detected correctly in Knoppix 3.4 (3Com Corporation 3c556B
> CardBus [Tornado]). This results in a MAC address of FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Dallas

Try booting with

knoppix acpi=off

and/or noapic

Maybe your board has (as many do) a faulty ACPI implementation that
requires ACPI support to be turned off in the Kernel.