Re: [debian-knoppix] Multiple hardware issues

Am Sonntag, 27. April 2003 14:42 schrieb Michael Grenier:
> Multiple problems including no sound, doesn't like the second IDE
> controller card, etc. However, my ignorance of Linux
> prevents me really understanding the issue with some of them so I need
> to ask help. Let's focus on sound first.
>
> This is a BIOSTAR mothboard with imbedded LAN, Modem, and sound support.
> ----
> 1st problem - no sound. The sound imbedded on the mother board is listed
> as:
>
> VIA Technologies | VT8233 [AC97 Audio Controller], driver=via82cxxx_audio
>
> and I get the error
>
> modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-0
> modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-0-0

On newer ISOs (see changelog on servers) a new cheatcode called alsa was
introduced. This does activate the alsa-soundsystem, which supports some
newer chipsets (including many of the ac97-ones).

So you could try to use the "knoppix alsa" cheatcode at boot-prompt from CD.

cu

Fabian

PS: If you have any problems with alsa-support, please contact me.