[debian-knoppix] Re: New DDC-probing tool for Knoppix for testing

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 05:34:03PM +0200, i.t wrote:
> msg Sonntag 16 Februar 2003 05:52 by Klaus Knopper:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I'm working on a new Monitor/Modelines detection tool for version 3.2.
> > In order to recognize TFT displays better, I modified ddcxinfo from the
> > kudzu package to generate a hopefully valid and optimized Monitor-entry
> > for XF86Config{-4,}.
> >
> > If anybody would volunteer to try this out with his graphics
> > card/monitor combination, here are the packages:
>
> I've just burned a 3.2 CD from April 15th BETA and there are problems with one
> 17 '' LCD monitor with the automatic hardware detection:
> a) knoppix 3.1:
> monitor is TVT0048
> => works without problems
> b) knoppix 3.2 beta:

Please note that 3.2 is no less betan than 3.1 ;-)

> monitor is TVT0048, Hi 28.0 - 96.0 Khz, V: 50 -75 Khz
> => horizontal value of 96 is too high, should be 80; therefore the screen
> flickers and goes very quick from right to left - unusuable

Well, These are the frequencies that your monitor reports as valid.
So, what should I do in this case?

> It works pretty ok for another 15'' LCD where ddcxinfo-knoppix -monitor gives
> the right modelines (ModelName DNV0097) etc.
> The results for the 17'' LCD I've put online
> http://it97.dyndns.org/linux/knoppix/

So it seems that the recognition works well, just some monitors simply
report incorrect values.

Any action required?

Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/
Phone +49-(0)631-3109371                        Fax +49-(0)631-3109372
LinuxTag 2003 - Europes largest Linux Expo       Where .com meets .org