Re: [debian-knoppix] questions / suggestions

On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 10:53, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 10:23:32AM -0600, Bill Eastman wrote:
> > > Would you volunteer to write a patch for wlcardconfig for supporting this?
> > > The passphrase should be asked from the user by (X)dialog, like in
> > > mkpersistenthome.
> > >
> > > And please use pump instead of dhclient.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > -Klaus Knopper
> >
> > Two problems...first is where is the source available from
>
> http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/sources/
>
> The wlcardconfig source should be current. I just checked.

I downloaded it.  I didn't see mkpersistenthome to download.

> > and the
> > second is I don't know C (I do have some friends that do though, and
> > I'll approach them).
>
> wlcardconfig is just a shell script.
>
> > I would guess that the mac address would need to
> > be asked the user, unless there is a cheat code for WEP Wireless when
> > booted.
>
> Why would you need to enter the mac address of your own wireless card on
> the client? Of course, if you want to modify it, you could do ths with
> ifconfig.

In the script that runs when the laptop boots into RH 8, sometimes I use
a 10/100 nic in the pccard slot and sometimes I have the wireless card
in the pccard slot.  I only have one pccard slot on the laptop and WEP
is only used with wireless.

--
Bill Eastman <beastman@austin.rr.com>