Re: [debian-knoppix] kernel performances

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Florent BERANGER wrote:

>   Hello,
>
> Is anyone using Knoppix with a 486 processor ?
> What the user can do with Knoppix on a 486 ? I never see a 486 with 96Mo of
> RAM, so only the text mode can be used.
So what? A 486 is too slow to use those resource-wasting graphical
front-ends but fast enough to run some server-processes like ftpd, nfsd...
> Performances can be increased for all other users with a 586 kernel (Pentium
> and above).
How many microseconds per hour could you save on an up-to-date machine if
you used a kernel which was optimised for pentium I instead of 486 (which
isn't the CPU-Type you are using, by the way, so this won't be much help
anyway)?
Only cpu-intensive tasks should be optimised for the specific cpu used.
All other tasks should be kept as compatible as possible, for reasons like
maintainability.

>    Florent

regards,

Tim