Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix software & space on CD discuss

Le Jeudi 19 Décembre 2002 15:29, vous avez écrit :
> On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 03:33:00PM +0100, Florent BERANGER wrote:
> >   Hello,
> >
> > I often see in debian-knoppix ml that there is no free space on CD to add
> > interesting softwares.
> >
> > KDE 3.1 will be here soon and is bigger than actual KDE 3, some software
> > will have to be deleted on the CD.
>
> Sad, but true.
>
> > There are 3 (yes, 3 !) complete Office suites (OpenOffice, Koffice and
> > abiword/gnumeric suite) in Knoppix .
> > OpenOffice could be sufficient (we don't use 3 office suites, only one),
> > no ?
>
> Well, others say that OpenOffice should be deleted, because it has no
> real locale support, contains a lot of "extras" that "nobody needs", is
> slow and memory-hungry. Some say their favourite office is abiword.
> Others say it's koffice. So, what is the "right" decision? Would a
> "vote" not be discriminating against those who have few ram and would
> opt for the "smaller" office packages as opposed to those who prefer the
> "big" stuff like OpenOffice?

For those who want a light writer tool, they have kwrite, kate & gedit.
And when a team will create a 4th office suite, 5,6,7,8 -> 8 office suites on
the CD ?
If you aren't sure about the decision, do a poll.

> > In an another hand, there is no simple burning software (xcdroast is not
> > easy to use as k3b), no multimedia center (xmms isn't a multimedia center
> > as MMboX or freevo).
>
> I like xmms very much; if there are more plugins it is also a DVD/VCD
> player. Though xine has maybe the more ergonomic look&feel. Just another
> problem: For music playing, I like xmms best, and for DVD and VCD xine
> seems to be the most capable engine.

I like XMMS and Xine too (I prefer mplayer to xine but it's an another thing
and libxine will be needed in KDE 3.1) !

But MMboX ( mmbox.tuxfamily.org ) and freevo ( freevo.sf.net ) aren't the same
: they are multimedia center, they are a multimedia interface (like a
multimedia window manager) which can be easily displayed on a TV or a monitor
in the living room.

You'll find, as part, some MMboX screenshots (french default skin - it's
skinnable, a Knoppix skin can be done ;)

> > I think a feature approach could be greet to enhance software management.
>
> Well, waiting for solutions. ;-)

The solution : what users want and what can be cool for them ( INNOVATIONS )
by a feature approach.

> Regards
> -Klaus

Thanks,