[debian-knoppix] Network card is not autodetected when booting from hard drive

I am having a problem with my PCMCIA ethernet card.  It works seemlessly when running from the CD, but when I boot from the hard drive (after using knx-install) I have only lo and no eth0.

Pump will apparently detect the card but then fails to obtain an IP address through DHCP!

I noticed that the following packages are removed at the end of the install script:
cupsconfig-knoppix
knoppix-terminalserver
mkdosswapfile-knoppix
netcardconfig-knoppix
networkconfig-knoppix
rootshell-knoppix
saveconfig-knoppix
soundcardconfig-knoppix
sshstart-knoppix
startnessus-knoppix
wlcardconfig-knoppix

I have been trying to get my network card working so that I can play with Debian, but mostly so that I can run knoppix-terminalserver!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you Yahoo!?