Re: [debian-knoppix] Problem with Knoppix at booting

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 11:40:35AM +0100, Csabka wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a problem with Knoppix. Since my computer have been changed, I am
> not able to boot my knoppix cd.
>
> I have a woody install on my hdd. I compiled the kernel for the new
> configuration (new: AMD Duron 1200Mhz, Mercury KOB KM266 FDSMx
> motherboard). I just change only the "Processor type and
> feature/Processor family" form Pentium MMX to Athlon_Duron_K7. When I
> tried to boot it I get a same result, as Knoppix:
>
> ..
> ESR value before enabling vector: 00000002
>
> Nothing happened after that.
> Hopefully I could boot the previous kernel (Pentium-mmx). There wasn't
> any problem. I switched off MTRR and (local /APIC or ACPI/ -I'm not sure
> which-.) then there wasn't any problem at boot time as well with Duron
> kernel.

Your new computer seems to have a broken BIOS. You can maybe workaround this
by booting with
knopix noapic
or other options mentioned in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

> PS.: is it possible to be switched off MTRR and A... on the next release
> of Knoppix.

No, because then it won't boot on some other Computers anymore.