Re: Request for Realtek rtw89_8852be driver

Hi Vincent,

On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 05:55:17PM +0200, Vincent Blut wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> Le 2023-03-26 15:12, Andy Smith a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've got a laptop running testing with a Realtek 8852be card in it.
> > This driver seems to be present in upstream kernel from 6.1:
> >
> >     https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v6.1/source/drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtw89/rtw8852be.c
> >
> > but doesn't seem to be in any Debian kernel package at present.
> >
> > I have got it working using a DKMS built from these instructions:
> >
> >     https://github.com/lwfinger/rtw89
> >
> > (and packaged firmware-realtek)
> >
> > Will this driver make its way into a bookworm kernel at some point,
> > or do I need to submit a wishlist bug for this, or is there some
> > other procedure?
>
> Surely it would be wise to enable RTW89_8852BE and RTW89_8852CE for bookworm.
> Salvatore, what's your take on this? I can commit some time to work on this.

There was already some discussion following on the specific one, but
to answer the question in more general way: We are now in hard freeze.
New features would not be eligible anymore, but adding HW support
still can be considered now. But it depends (e.g. #1033504 would not
be really fine if there are no upstream patches at least in mainline
already, stuff which just needs to be enabled might be fine, New
upstream stable imports will be done similarly anyway for point
releases and are fine as well. I guess the general idea though is
clear, all other needs to go to trixie.).

Regards,
Salvatore