Re: Upstream source handling

On Sat, 2015-09-12 at 12:05 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> Hi Ian
>
> On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 10:45:50AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Tue, 2015-09-08 at 22:52 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > > Please take a look and let me know what you think about this
> variant.
> > > Most likely I've forgotten something, but I don't know what it
> is.
> > The submodules refer to local paths (../source/linux IIRC) rather
> than
> > URLs on alioth, is that on purpose?
>
> Relative URL references are expanded from the origin location, so
> "../source/linux" based on ssh://git.debian.org/git/kernel/linux is
> ssh://git.debian.org/git/kernel/source/linux.

Hrm, this didn't appear to be working for me, and it was happy once I
manually cloned something into ../source/linux. Might be dependent on
git version or something?

> > Would it be possible to arrange for the base featureset to actually be
> > in the main tree at the toplevel rather than as a submodule do you
> > think? That at least would seem to be a far more natural arrangement.
>
> Nope, a submodule can only live within an existing tree.

I meant making the base featureset part of the main tree, not a
submodule. I suppose the fact that it is rebasing knackers that idea
though.

Ian.