Re: Can I 'fool' the uname command??

In general, you can 'fool' the uname command (with LD_PRELOAD) but it
probably won't solve the problem.

On Sun, 2012-04-01 at 12:40 -0400, Glen Millard wrote:
> Okay - I am attempting to compile on a shared (virtual host) machine
>
> When I use the uname -a command, it displays the following:
>
> Linux ps91497 3.1.9-vs2.3.2.5 #1 SMP Thu Jan 26 02:37:05 UTC 2012
> x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> /usr/src/linux-source-3.2 is where I downloaded the sources:
[...]
> So, to build this software package that I need - I need to convince
> the compiler that these are my kernel sources.
[...]

What does it need from the kernel source?  You certainly can't build a
useful kernel module this way (nor would you be permitted to load it
anyway).

I'm always amazed by the number of people who take up solipsism because
they heard someone else explain it. - E*Borg on alt.fan.pratchett