Re: Changes to Debian Installer release process

On 07/28/2011 01:18 PM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> I used some of Debcamp and Debconf time this year to discuss the
> Debian Installer release process with some people and after talking
> with many people it seems we agreed on the following changes on Debian
> Installer release process and it would be interesting to receive
> feedback on those to see if anyone see a problem we didn't notice yet.

Great, lets make d-i as easy to handle as general packages (or at least
almost ;-))!

> * Official uploads to be built against unstable

Sounds good.

>  * Linux kernel udebs to be built from linux source package

Also looks good.

>  * Debian Installer daily builds to be done from source uploads
>
>    The daily builds will use the archive source for building so every
> time we do a change in unstable in a module that is included in initrd
> it will trigger a binNMU in all architectures replicating what we have
> in daily builds. When source changes in debian-installer source
> package are done, a new source upload will be required.

Do the daily builds only uncover issues from building the initrd? A.k.a.
will changes in packages other than the one in the initrd only have an
effect on the install via genuine downloading from the archive at the
time of the install?

>  * Debian Installer experimental builds
>
>    With Linux kernel udebs built from linux source we have the
> possibility to get the installer built against the development kernel
> that will be available on experimental and this is quite important to
> us to be able to test all this before it is available in unstable to
> avoid bad surprises for us and users. This will also be a handy tool
> for us to play with not well tested or finished stuff without breaking
> installer to end users.

Sounds good!

>  * Use of britney to handle package and installer migration
>
>    This is the end of the process and some details are yet unknown how
> this is going to happen however but our goal is to make it happen
> since it will alleviate a lot the amount of work to make Debian
> Installer release to happen.

Super!

> It is important to notice that it is not a single-man effort but a
> coordinate and shared effort of Debian Kernel, Debian Release and
> Debian Installer teams to get all this done. Those changes are not
> going to happen at once but in a progressive process and at the end
> this is going to make the installer release process easier to
> understand and handle.

Right, lets go for it!

Cheers

Luk