Re: Building udebs from linux-2.6

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 12:50:11PM +0200, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> 1. Installer team members (initially Otavio, Joey and Colin) will need
> commit access, to update the module selections for udebs.

As long as they don't break it, well.

> 2. The automatic inclusion of module dependencies sometimes results in a
> module being selected for multiple packages.  kernel-wedge does not
> attempt to resolve this, and treats it as a fatal error.  It should be
> turned into a warning when building linux-2.6 for experimental.

I don't see a way to detect that from the source.

>                             He is wary about this because currently the
> explicit lists of modules provide a useful check that modules have not
> been unexpectedly removed.  (This sometimes happens due to introduction
> of new kconfig variables without sane defaults.)  We need to check for
> this in some way.

Did this problem break hell loose in the past? I can't remember
anything. However we could make this part of the ABI, which we check
anyway.

> 4. kernel-wedge must remain a separate package, as it is also used for
> the FreeBSD kernel.

Well. I don't see much that would survive. The control generation and
the module selection is not.

Bastian

--
Violence in reality is quite different from theory.
		-- Spock, "The Cloud Minders", stardate 5818.4