root on usb via pccard?

I have an old laptop which I would like to boot from it's internal HD
and then mount / on an usb-stick inserted in a pccard->USB 2.0 device.

I tried to boot this, but initramfs did not seem to find the device
(which, by the way, is LVM over LUKS).

Perhaps it is not feasible to do what I want, but you are the experts.

The cardbus device "just works" (but maybe not at initramsfs-time?),
here is the output of lspci -v

02:00.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
        Subsystem: Device 1758:0035
        Memory at 2c000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: ohci_hcd
        Kernel modules: ohci-hcd

Kind regards,