Re: building 2.6.26 kernel source fails on squeeze

On Mon, 2011-04-18 at 05:58 +0530, Faheem Mitha wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2011, Ben Hutchings wrote:

> >> I'm just trying to change the name of the package (from the default of
> >> linux-image-2.6.26-2-686-bigmem to presumably something like
> >> linux-image-2.6.26.custom.1.0-2-686-bigmem) so that it does not replace my
> >> currently installed 2.6.26 version, and I can distinguish it from the
> >> stock Debian kernels. I was attempting to follow Section 4.5 in
> >> http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html.
> >>
> >> It doesn't look like a good fit with the other instructions in 4.2.4, but
> >> I tried to mix them together.
> >
> > These are in different sections for a good reason!
>
> No doubt. However, I want to rebuild the Debian stock kernel with the one
> minor alteration to the config I've already mentioned, and produce a
> binary linux-image package with a different name. How do I do this?

Follow section 4.2.

> >> I don't see how to alter debian/config/defines to do this. To be honest, I
> >> don't even know what this file is for.
> >
> > It defines certain parameters for the Debian packaging.  The ABI number
> > is set on the second line of the file.
>
> Ok. In that case, I don't see how this is relevant to what I'm trying to
> do.

Firstly, your initial build failed at the ABI check: the new kernel will
not be compatible with out-of-tree modules built for 2.6.26-2-686-bigmem
and the kernel version (as shown by uname -r; not the package version)
must be changed.

Secondly, you want to be able to install the new package in parallel
with the old one.  Therefore the package name must change.

The solution to both of these is to change the ABI number (or name,
rather; we use numbers but you don't have to).