Re: [RFR] templates://linux-2.6/{linux-base.templates,templates/temp.image.plain/templates}

On Sun, 2010-04-11 at 16:20 +0200, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> David didn't leave the linux-2.6@packages.qa.d.o CC'ed.
>
> Re-adding it so that kernel packages maintainers can comment (Ben at
> first).
>

> Quoting David Prévot (davidp@altern.org):
> >
> > Le 31/03/2010 12:37, Christian PERRIER a écrit :
> > >  Most firmware files are not included in the system because
> > >  no source code is available for them. You may need to reconfigure
> > >  the package manager to include the non-free section of the package
> > >  archive before you can install these firmware files.
> >
> > It may be pedantic, but the reason why most firmware are not available
> > is because they do not conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines:
> > they might be open source with a non compatible license.
> >
> > Anyway, I don't know for sure for the Linux kernel : all the non free
> > firmware may also be closed source.

Indeed, we do not have source code for any of the non-free firmware.  In
many cases it is under a BSDish licence and would thus become DFSG-free
if the source code was released.

> > Unless you are exclusively referencing the firmware-linux-nonfree
> > package, which is in the non-free section, some firmware can also be
> > available through the contrib section (bcm43xx-fwcutter used to download
> > sources, extract and install firmware from these downloaded files. I
> > don't know if some packages are still running this way).
[...]

They might be; I hadn't thought tof that.