Re: Collecting additional bootloader/hypervisor information from reportbug hooks?

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 00:24 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 19:35 +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > #575183 suggests that it would be useful to know which hypervisor was
> > installed when reportbug is used to report a bug against the kernel.
> >
> > Any objection to adding "xen-hypervisor" to
> > linux-2.6/debian/templates/image.plain.bug/control?
>
> If you specify just 'xen-hypervisor' does that cover all package names
> beginning with that string?  If so we should be doing the same with
> 'firmware-' rather than listing them all...

It seems to list anything which Provides: xen-hypervisor. It looks like
the firmware packages don't have a common Provides so I don't think you
can shorten your list.

> > I was also thinking it might also be useful to include the output of "ls
> > -lRt /boot" and/or /boot/grub/{grub.cfg,menu.lst}/other-bootloader-cfgs
> > via one of the report bug hooks.
>
> When the running kernel matches the package being reported on, then no,
> we already have /proc/cmdline.

OK, that probably covers the majority of cases.

> When the running kernel does not match then maybe the boot loader
> configuration could be included.  This might be a case where we should
> ask the user first (same as with networking).

Sounds reasonable.

> > I was wondering if that had been
> > considered and rejected for some reason (privacy issues perhaps?)
>
> If we do it then we need to be careful to obscure passwords (we've just
> been through this with network configuration and took a few iterations
> to cover the various possible WPA credentials).

Agreed. I've just looked at the grub and grub2 reportbug hooks and they
obscures passwords, so I think/hope someone has already gone through the
iterations and we can just crib from there.

> For now I think explicit support for LILO, GRUB 1 and GRUB
> 2 should cover 99% of the systems out there.

I'll try and dig into that.

How gross to people think it would be to just
call /usr/share/bug/{grub-legacy,grub-pc,lilo}/script from the kernel's
script (with appropriate checks for existence first)? At least looking
at the grub-legacy and grub-pc ones they seem to contain pretty much
what we would want.

Thanks,

Ian
--
Ian Campbell

Elegance and truth are inversely related.
		-- Becker's Razor