Re: [DRAFT] Policy for Linux kernel, initramfs, boot loader update process

On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 10:45 +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Ben Hutchings wrote:
[...]
> > 4. During a kernel package installation, upgrade or removal, various
> > boot loader hooks may be invoked (in this order):
> >
> > a. A postinst_hook or postrm_hook command set by the user or the
> >    installer in /etc/kernel-img.conf
> > b. A hook script in /etc/mkinitramfs/post-update.d
> > c. A hook script in /etc/kernel/postinst.d or .../postrm.d
> >
> > To avoid unnecessary updates, the hooks invoked at step a and b may
> > check whether $DPKG_MAINTSCRIPT_PACKAGE begins with 'linux-image-' and
> > do nothing in this case.  [Is this sensible or is it too 'clever'?]
>
> what is the intent of that point?
> sorry you lost me here.

I'm wondering whether this is a reasonable way to test whether a kernel
package upgrade is in progress.

> > 5. Kernel and initramfs builder packages must not invoke boot loaders
> > except via hooks.  If /etc/kernel-img.conf contains an explicit
> > 'do_bootloader = yes', kernel package maintainer scripts should warn
> > that this is now ignored.
>
> for backward compat and upgrade purpose from lenny,
> I think the must is wrong.
[...]

Do you mean that the boot loader might not get updated during a
dist-upgrade?  I think that even if the kernel or initramfs builder
package is installed/upgraded before the boot loader package is upgraded
to include hook scripts, the boot loader package will update the boot
loader when it is upgraded.  (And the boot loader package is sure to be
upgraded in order to add those hook scripts.)