Re: 5.0.4-i386 freezes at boot

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 09:21 +0300, Sakari Aaltonen wrote:
> I'm trying to install Debian 5.0.4-i386 on a Fujitsu Esprimo P1500
> desktop computer with the netinst disk. However, the install stops
> almost immediately with the message
>
>        MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
>        Kernel panic - not syncing: IO-APIC + timer doesn't work!
>        Boot with apic=debug and send a report. Then try booting with
> the 'noapic' option
>
> When I try 'apic=debug', the result is the same. There is no further output.
>
> When I try 'noapic', the install seemingly succeeds, but when I try to
> boot from the hard disk, the machine freezes during the start-up
> sequence and I end up with a blank (black) screen.
>
> The machine's BIOS is the most recent version available (October 2009.)

Please try to install the 'testing' suite (work in progress for Debian
6.0 'squeeze') using the installer from
<http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/>.  This will install a
newer kernel version (2.6.32) which might include a fix for this bug.
Even if you are sure you want to use Debian 5.0 'lenny', this will at
least tell us whether a bug fix exists.