Re: firmware-nonfree : ipw2100 and ipw2200 in Lenny?

Hi Franklin,

thanks a lot for your work on these patches! Very much appreciated!

On Saturday 01 November 2008 22:33, Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
> I think it would be nice to have those firmware in Lenny. Even though
> it's very late in the release cycle, I assume the risk is add them is
> rather low since:
> 1. The firmware haven't changed for ages.
> 2. The packages will be in non-free (i.e not supported by Debian).
>
> Is there anything I could do to help?
> I assume I should open 2 bugs for the patches, right ?

Yes, please do.

Also please make the bugs blocked by
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=449235 - which I think is
invalid and about which I'm in communication with intel to get the
clarification about this stupid refusal of the firmware-nonfree maintainers
to include those firmwares.

(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=449235#33 claims that
someone read the licence as undistributable in non-free because the licence
could mean that the licence needs to be available
_in_the_download_directory_next_to_the_firmware. The way I read the licence
is that its fine if the licence is part inside the package and upon
_installation_ the licence is placed in the same directory as the firmware
file. (And in /usr/share/doc/ipw2x00-fireware _and_ displayed to the user at
installation time and asked for acception.))

regards,
	Holger